Monday, September 30, 2013

Potato Soup

My mother-in-law gave me this recipe a few years ago and I've enjoyed it over and over.  It's my favorite potato and ham soup.

Ingredients:
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
4 cups chopped potatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup cubed ham
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 quart half and half (Sometimes I use milk and cream, but I never used an entire quart of half and half, it seems to be too much for the soup)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
Place vegetables in a large pot and add enough water to almost cover the vegetables.  Add the ham.  Place a lid on the pan and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes, stir occasionally so the vegetables don't stick.  Turn off the stove but leave the pan on the burner.  In a frying pan, melt the butter, add the flour and stir until smooth.  Cook and stir for 1 more minutes, add to the soup, stirring constantly until the paste is stirred into the soup.  Add the half and half, mixing well and serve.