Monday, January 28, 2013

Homemade French Bread

My wonderful sister-in-law shared this recipe with me.  Nothing is better than homemade french bread as a side to your meal.  Yields 2 loaves.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 T sugar
2 T dry yeast
1 T salt
2 T oil
6 cups flour


Directions:
Mix all ingredients.   Knead for 6-8 minutes.   Place in a large bowl sprayed with non-stick spray.   Cover and let rise 4 times, kneading well between risings.  
To form into loaves, divide dough in half.   Roll each half into a rectangle.   Roll up jelly-roll style from long end.   Pinch ends to seal.   Put on greased baking sheet seam-end down.   Cut about 5 slits into top of bread.   Cover with egg wash.   Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.   Let rise until double.   Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.


**For the longest time I found that any bread I made would rise slowly.  I created this little trick . . .  I put a wet clean wash cloth in the microwave for 30 seconds.  I take the wash cloth out and immediately put my bowl of dough covered with a thin cloth inside the microwave to rise.  Don't turn on the microwave, just let the bread rise in that moist warmish atmosphere.  Works for me every time!